Sunday, September 9, 2012

Google Changes It Up

I've been doing the internet marketing thing for a while, but mostly writing SEO content. Hopefully over the next few months, I'll be diving in instead of simply getting my feet wet.

One of the best ways to learn is to read - and luckily for us, there are plenty of words on the internet, ripe for the picking. The tricky part, however, is finding the words that are true, informative, and worthy of your time and energy. I'd like to think I've found something that meets this criteria.


Former occupations have required me to find out as much information as I could regarding B2B internet marketing strategies, and I came across a little gem called the Internet Marketing Club, which is "a place for internet marketing, networking, and learning." Ask a question, answer a question, attend an event, and connect with people. The least you can do is to check it out.

A few days ago, the IMC shared some news about Google. Usually when we enter in a search term, we get a page of results. Google made some changes to the amount of results for a brand that we get on this page. Last month, IMC noticed that the company changed the number of results for a search from ten to seven. Now, according to IMC, Google has narrowed it down to four.


From what I've read about this, it seems that Google is somewhat experimenting to find out the best way to provide the most relevant results for a person. While this reason makes sense, it may change what we know about how websites are ranked. For example, smaller companies may have a better chance of landing on the first page if only four results can be linked to the same website (i.e. bigger companies). 

At this point, I'm not sure what other implications exists, or if any consequences will be negative. In any case, the internet is always changing, and so will SEO and SEM. The best we can do is to try to keep up.