Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Google and Apple Can't Work Well Together

Well, kind of.

The only Apple product I currently own is an iPod touch, and I love it. While I use a Mac five days a week, I don't think I would ever purchase one for myself, nor would I choose the iPhone as my personal mobile device. I'm simply an Android-type of gal. If you would really like to know why, I would be more than happy to share my reasons. Just not now, not here.

What I will share with you right now is that Google and Apple couldn't come to an agreement regarding turn-by-turn directions for the Google Maps app. How did this conflict come to rise? Well, the upgrade to iOS 6 has a lot of to do with it.


Apple wanted Google to bring spoken turn-by-turn navigation to iOS, but couldn't come to an agreement. Google did not want to make a deal because the company "viewed the capability as a 'key feature' of its own Android platform, and decided to keep the functionality exclusive to Android handsets." Apple responded by giving Google the boot.

Apple simply wanted voice-guided navigation for their customers to be able to drive without having to take their eyes off the road to look at the phone screen - not to mention the fact that without this functionality, Apple was at a clear disadvantage among the mobile industry. In any case, the company waived one year of its remaining contract for Google Maps to come up with its own iOS mapping system.

The question now is, which company suffers the most from this conflict? While iPhone users may not have access to some benefits that Google Maps provides - such as registered business locations, for example - but the search company lost a whopping 100 million iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners that were upgraded to iOS 6 within the first few days of the system's release. Google is working on its own standalone Google Maps app for iOS 6, but we wont see it for months (at the earliest).

This doesn't affect me personally, but I'm definitely curious to see how the story plays out for the two well-known companies. In any case, I'm glad I have my Android smartphone.