Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How I'm Trying to Get Back in the Game

In case you haven't noticed, I've been away for quite some time now. I know, I know - you missed me. While I do apologize for not doing a very good job of maintaining my online presence, I'm going to force myself to hop back on, and stay here, in 2013. While I do admit to losing my touch, I vow to not be forgotten on this little world we call the internet.

My intention is to keep this blog focused on social media, internet marketing, new technologies, and everything in between. However, you may find a more personal post every once in a while, just to keep things interesting (or not, it's your call). All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, right? Besides, us humans enjoy talking about ourselves way too much, so how could I not share a little bit about myself with you? In any case, read on to learn what I've been up to and how I'm trying to recover the absence of new posts.


What I've Been Up To...

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what it is I actually do, that's okay. I do a lot of things. What I get paid to do involves three positions with three different companies. My longest-held position is Market Copywriter for the a digital marketing agency called L2TMedia. Their clients consist of mainly car dealerships from all around the nation, so I get paid to write about cars. Pretty cool, right? Hence, I've been producing SEO/SEM content for about three years now. It's great experience for the internet marketing industry - plus I can earn money in my pajamas, watching The Beatles cartoons (I'm a huge Beatles fan), and hanging out with my snoring 75-pound dog. Not a bad gig, if I do say so myself.

Another one of my positions is Graduate Assistant for the New Media Studies program at DePaul University in Chicago. I compile job lists for students, try to answer their questions about the program, help out with department-held events, and am working on the new program website (stay tuned to see how it turns out). I enjoy it very much so, and it doesn't hurt that it makes me look like a VIP (don't let me fool you, though).

Finally, my third position is Marketing & Operations Coordinator for MediaTracks Communications. We all wear many hats, but my job mostly entails filling out reports for clients, conducting a lot of market research, maintaining records, and being a smart aleck. I've also had to speak to radio personalities and ask them why they haven't turned in their paperwork, or pitch to them if they want to air a public service announcement. No matter what my daily tasks are, I feel like I have the best coworkers in the world - all eight of them. Most of them love The Beatles, Harry Potter, when literature goes to big and small screens, food, and the occasional glass of wine (or mimosa, or cocktail). Even though I'm the youngest employee by about ten years, I fit right in - which is why I'm so sad that I have to leave this job.

How I'm Going to Bounce Back

Yes, that's right. I have to quit one of my jobs, and unfortunately it has to be MediaTracks. You see, when I picked up the Graduate Assistant job at school, I thought to myself, "Three jobs as a full-time student? I can do this. Bring it on." Now that I'm signed up for a new school term, I'm taking two theory-centered courses. My school load consists of commute, read, read, write, read, read, present, read, read, write, commute, read, sleep. Oh, and I've also been training for my first 10K. I know I'm a little crazy, but as long as you have decent time management skills and are self-disciplined, you can really do anything you set your mind to. But I digress.

Back to my original story. So yes - the heavy school load has forced me to choose between looking like Superwoman or maintaining my sanity. I choose sanity, as it may come in handy somewhere down the road. While I'm very sad to be leaving such a great job and even greater group of people, I have to think about my all-star player - me. My supervisor saw it coming, and my boss understood completely. As I mentioned before - I cannot help but love these people.

Somehow I've been maintaining a fabulous GPA, and I'm going for the gold during my last six months of pursuing my Master's degree. Therefore, I've had to make a pretty hard decision. Two jobs instead of three. Work four/five days a week instead of six/seven. As I prepare for my last day on Friday, I can't help but feel excited to have more time to get stuff done, and also to relax on occasion. I can't promise that I won't leave without shedding a few tears, though.

Overall,  I'm happy with my decision. If my schedule permits, I may consider taking on some freelance web design work or to start building my own website/online portfolio from scratch. Whatever I decide to do, I will be sure to share updates via MeganShares. In the meantime, I remain optimistic about the future. The world is my oyster, and I'm going to find out which condiments taste the best.